Monday, November 7, 2011

            As I’ve continued to read Yeager, I realize that Chuck Yeager has an interesting way of writing at times. There are instances where Chuck writes as if the reader is the one doing the things that he actually did. He tells the reader how he or she is to feel and what it’s like. It has a real way of drawing the reader. It’s the realism that makes it interesting.
            It strikes me that the Air Force did not have a place for Yeager to stay with his wife. They could either live in separate quarters on the base or live in a home that they paid for. Even if they live on the base, they had to pack up the bags every three days, walk out the door, and then walk back in in order to stay on the base. I suppose this is why Yeager approached his superiors after he broke the sound barrier and said that he would at least like to buy Glennis a fur coat.
            Aparently, Yeager was not very organized and tended to make messes:
            “Chuck wan’t easy for an orderly person to live with. He never picked up his clothes, left them all over the house, no matter how much I’d nag. So, one day I decided to teach him a lesson. I began picking up his clothes and just dumped them on the floor in the hall closet. I dumped and dumped until that closet bulged. Finally he asked me where a blue windbreaker was. My big moment! I said, it must be in the hall closet. He opened the door and this enormous pile of clothes just dumped on him. He kicked through the pile, found the jacket in the mess, put it on, and left. That man showed no surprise and never said a word. I was so damned mad I could’ve spit nails.
-Yeager by Chuck Yeager
            As Chuck continues his story, he brings up a reported situation in which the pilot avoided hitting a schoolyard and then fatally crashed. Chuck calls it a load of crap. He said that in a situation like that, the pilot would be thinking about one thing only – survival.
            When Chuck was flying the X-1 the windshield frosted up. Their fix at the time was to have Dick Frost guide Chuck Yeager down to a safe landing. Later on, their solution was to put Drene Shampoo on the windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment