Friday, November 11, 2011

Finally

When I started this class, I would read when I found it interesting or when I found it necessary. During the school year, I would only read for class. During the summer, I was fairly independent and would be drawn into my reading. However, during the school year, I would only read when I had to and would mostly read for six hours on Saturday while sitting on the toilet. During the summer, I would read about anywhere but the car.
This semester, I have read numerous nonfiction books and only one fiction book. I have read books that are helpful or that I find interesting. I take long enough reading a book that I do not have trouble finding books to read, although at times, I have had trouble getting my holds to come into the library on time. This semester, I have only found one book that I could not stick with, and that was because the over-the-top imagery turned my stomach. In fact, I found the descriptions difficult to believe. Although I stick with my reading, I have found it difficult to lose myself in my reading because I am a page counter. I am always doing math with the number of pages I have read and have left to read. At time, getting through reading can become laborious because I just want to know the story and do not want to wade through reading the words. I do talk about my reading with my family, but my interests are different than those of my friends, so I find it difficult to talk about my reading with them.
I have not changed the speed of my reading or how I approach my reading, but I have come to no longer despise reading for class, although I still find text-book reading boring. My choice of what type of writing to read has not changed much either. I mostly prefer prose because poetry confuses me. I like nonfiction reading because of the realism. I also still only like to read what I find helpful or interesting. I will still be just as likely to read during the summer. Every year, I always participate in the summer reading program. Next, I will most likely read a book about personality types.

No comments:

Post a Comment